Monday, June 6, 2016

No hablo español

June 6, 2016

Well this week was pretty crazy because I went on two exchanges out of
my area! The first one was over to the south side of Reading with none
other than Elder Martinez! We just joke all the time that we will end
up being companions by default because we've gone on at least 10
exchanges with each other. We taught some good lessons and ate really
good burritos so that was a thumbs up day! I then went to the south
side of Reading again with Elder Thompson, a Spanish missionary. So
essentially the entire day I had no idea what was going on because I
chose to take French in high school! It was so odd, I was probably
less than a mile or two outside of my area, yet I felt like I was far
away in a distant Spanish land.

So last week I wrote about Andrew and Vivian, the brother sister combo
that came to church. We taught them this week and I've never seen
someone as stoked as Vivian was when we invited her to be baptized!
She just yelled at the top of her lungs to everyone in the run down
motel "I'm gonna get baptized!" We also got a sweet member referral
from someone who was in the Reading 2nd part of the ward, so we are
already loving this merge of the wards! Her name is Haja and she's
from Sierra Leone. The lesson went pretty well and we are stoked to
teach her! I also had the opportunity to do a baptismal interview this
week for a guy named Anthony. He's been married to his wife, who's a
member, for 18 years. He's kinda been on and off investigating, but
he's consistently come to church to the point where people didn't even
know he wasn't a member! Anyways after his daughter got baptized
something clicked in him and he realized he needed to be baptized. He
was so solid too, but it just goes to show that you should never give
up on anyone with the gospel.

Kinda a funny experience I had came on Saturday when we took Dontá out
teaching with us. We called him the night before to come out most the
day with us. I guess he was half asleep because when we picked him up
he was so bummed out that he agreed to come with us. He told us he had
a date planned, a baseball practice and swimming with his friends and
all that. As we drove our way out to our appointments he kept joking
with us that we were holding him hostage from his fun day! So we just
kept joking back and forth with him and finally I told him "watch, the
girl you were going to take on a date will probably get sick and
wouldn't have been able to go anyways, your baseball practice won't
happen because it will rain and your boys won't be feeling the pool
because of the rain too" and son of a gun guess what happened? Dontá's
date's allergies got way bad, it started raining and he never got
invited to the pool! Each thing that happened he just looked at me
with that "are you kidding?" kind of look. I think Dontá made the
right choice coming out with us!

I was thinking about it this week and if the age requirement for
missionaries never changed then I would have just barely become
eligible last week to serve a mission. I feel so blessed that I've
just barely turned 19 and I've already been out over 9 months! Anyways
thank you to the people that wished me a happy birthday over the week,
it was pretty cool to be across the country and still feel remembered
back home! Things are great here in Reading! My mom wanted some
pictures of the area so I'll attach some so you can all see what a
beautiful and sanitary place it is! I hope you all have an amazing
week!




No comments:

Post a Comment